Palm reading, otherwise known as palmistry or chiromancy, is practiced all over the world, with roots in Indian astrology and gypsy fortune-telling.The objective is to evaluate a person's character or future by studying the palm of their hand. Whether you're an aspiring palm reader or you're just looking for a fun way to pass the time and impress your friends, here's how to gain insight just by holding someone's hand..
Choose a hand. For females, the right hand is what you're born with, and left is what you've accumulated throughout your life. For males, it is the other way around.For male, the left hand is what you're born with, and right is what you've accumulated throughout your life. Pick a palm to read.
Identify the four major lines.
(1) The heart line.
(2) The head line.
(3) The life line.
(4) The fate line (Not everybody has this.)
Interpret the heart line. This line can be read in either direction (from the pinkie finger to the index finger or vice versa) depending on the tradition being followed. It's believed to indicate emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression, and cardiac health.
- Begins below the index finger - content with love life
- Begins below the middle finger - selfish when it comes to love
- Begins in the middle - falls in love easily.
- Straight and short - less interest in romance
- Touches life line - heart broken easily
- Long and curvy - freely expresses emotions and feelings
- Straight and parallel to the head line - good handle on emotions
- Wavy - many relationships and lovers, absence of serious relationships
- Circle on the line - sad or depression
- Broken line - emotional trauma
- Smaller lines crossing through heart line - emotional trauma
Examine the head line. Represents learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge. A curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity, while a straight line is linked with practicality and a structured approach.
- Short line - prefers physical achievements over mental ones
- Curved, sloping line - creativity
- Separated from life line - adventure, enthusiasm for life.
- Wavy line - short attention span
- Deep, long line - thinking is clear and focused
- Straight line - thinks realistically
- Donuts or cross in head line - emotional crisis
- Broken head line - inconsistencies in thought
- Multiple crosses through head line - momentous decisions
Evaluate the life line. Begins near the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. Reflects physical health, general well being, and major life changes (e.g. cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and relocations). Its length is not associated with length of life.
- Runs close to thumb - often tired
- Curvy - plenty of energy
- Long, deep - vitality.
- Short and shallow - manipulated by others
- Swoops around in a semicircle - strength and enthusiasm.
- Straight and close to the edge of the palm - cautious when it comes to relationships
- Multiple life lines - extra vitality
- Circle in line indicates - hospitalized or injured
- Break - sudden change in lifestyle
Study the fate line. This is also known as the line of destiny, and it indicates the degree to which a person's life is affected by external circumstances beyond their control.Begins at the base of the palm.
- Deep line - strongly controlled by fate
- Breaks and changes of direction - prone to many changes in life from external forces
- Starts joined to life line - self-made individual; develops aspirations early on
- Joins with the life line somewhere in the middle - signifies a point at which one's interests must be surrendered to those of others
- Starts at base of thumb and crosses life line - support offered by family and friends
Determine the hand shape. Each hand shape is associated with certain character traits. The length of the palm is measured from the wrist to the bottom of the fingers.
Earth - broad, square palms and fingers, thick or coarse skin, and ruddy color; length of the palm equals length of fingers
- Solid values and energy, sometimes stubborn
- Practical and responsible, sometimes materialistic
- Work with their hands, comfortable with the tangible
Air - square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes protruding knuckles, low-set thumbs, and dry skin; length of the palm less than length of fingers
- Sociable, talkative and witty
- Can be shallow, spiteful and cold
- Comfortable with the mental and the intangible
- Does things in different and radical ways
Water - long, sometimes oval-shaped palm, with long, flexible, conical fingers; length of the palm equals length of fingers but is less than width across the widest part of the palm
- Creative, perceptive and sympathetic
- Can be moody, emotional and inhibited
- Do things quietly and intuitively.
Fire - square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers; length of the palm is greater than length of fingers
- Spontaneous, enthusiastic and optimistic
- Sometimes egoistic, impulsive and insensitive
- Do things boldly and instinctively
- Since palm lines change as you progress through life, palm reading is seen by many as an opportunity to reveal what's already happened, but not as a way of predicting the future.
- Note the texture of the hand, front and back. Soft hands signify sensitivity and refinement, while rough hands signifies a coarse temperament.
- Take out books from your local library and look up websites on the internet. The more you read, the more you'll know and the better you'll be able to palm read.
- Try practicing on your own hands or on family or friends.
- Remember that palm-reading is for entertainment purposes and there is no substantiated evidence of correlation between palm features and psychological traits.
- If you are going to do this, then keep it light, don't make any dark predictions that will make people worry.
- Also, make sure you read palms in the light because trying to do it in the dark makes it difficult to get a good read.
How to read you Fingers:
How to read you Fingers: